The New Year comes with all sorts of resolutions, but I suggest you focus on the all-important task of setting goals for your career. By setting clearly defined goals you can measure your progress and continuously motivate yourself to progress toward the vision you have for your ideal work life. Your short term career goals must be seen as stepping stones to your long term career goal which I like to refer to as your career vision.
To set your goals first answer the below 5 questions:
1. Where do I want to be in my career in 5/10 years from now?
2. Why do I want to be there?
3. How can I get there?
4. What additional training, qualifications, and skills do I need?
5. Who can help me?
The answers will create a vision board which you can use to set your career goals. The following are tips to help you with this task:
· Express your goals positively
· Be specific in setting time lines and pay attention to priorities
· Write your goals down so that you can visually be reminded of them
· Set realistic goals that you can achieve which will motivate you
I advise that you follow your heart and passion when setting your goals, do what you want to do, rather than what you feel you have to do. Be disciplined and take steps each day towards achieving your goals and continually assess whether you are on track to accomplish them and be proud when you have achieved even the smallest goal because it means you are one step closer to your dream job!